Monday, January 31, 2011

Week One: One Thousand gifts

Seems we all have things that brand our lives, don't we? Things that we never forget. And regardless of time spent thinking on it and thinking of it, trying hard to move passed; it's never gonna go away. That is life. A very harsh reality.

I have followed Ann's blog for years and never knew this was all part of her story. Not until I began to read the pages did I ask myself...how in the world has she moved passed all this-darkness? It wasn't 'in the world' that she got through it, but in Christ Jesus. That's how.

Not too long ago I met with an old friend to catch up. She told me about some very serious marriage problems she is having. After listening to her I recall saying, with tears running down my cheeks, "I have been in some very dark places in my life. And it's in those places that you learn to love the light."

THANK GOD there is light even in darkness. But, what Ann says is true, it is a choice. God always leaves it a choice.

After all, he is a God of love not a God of force. He waits for you to call him. He waits for YOUR love. Seek him.

Thank God there is light somewhere in this black hole.

That that which tears open our souls, those holes that splatter our sight, may actually become the thin, open places to see through the mess of this place to the heart aching beauty beyond. ~Ann Voskamp

This is my prayer for all of us-

Dear God,
   I pray each one of us reaches for you, that you are the one we seek in time of need, in time of crisis, and in times of darkness. There is so much darkness Lord. I pray we seek the light that is you. And you are faithful God. You are always there. May we feel that deep inside today Lord. Carry us till we can put one foot in front of the other again. Forgive us when we desperately try on our own. Thank you for who you are...The Everlasting Faithful God. In Jesus' name and all according to your will, Amen.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I forgot to say that I'm guilty of always desiring more. That what I have been given just isn't enough. Have you all ever felt like that?

What an empty feeling that is.

Erin said...

Yes, I have felt that way. Right now, I just feel empty inside. I am trying to make sense of what has happened and could relate to many of the things in Chapter One. I want to choose God and not my own way, which never works out well by the way.

cheryl said...

I dare to reach for a emptier, fuller life by my complete dependence upon Him, no matter the circumstance that are in my life to accomplish the work at hand for what he has already chosen for me, therefore seeing His greatness and turning my worship more fully toward Him. I love the way Ann challenges me to think.