Saturday, January 26, 2008

Who? Me... Cinderella?

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Cor. 10:5


I got on my knees today. It didn't start out for the purpose of praying, but it quickly turned into the reason why.

I had allowed my son to go to the subdivision park with his older sister and her friend. I told them to be home at noon and sent them on their way. As time grew closer for them to get home, I decided I would go ahead and make their lunch so it would be nice and hot for them.

The girls walked in the door first, and then came Justin. I didn't catch him until he had walked through the door and up two flights of stairs...leaving mud in the wake behind him. I was furious to say the least. Not only because I had just vacuumed an hour earlier but because this is not the first time something like this has happened......

Not too long ago I had let him go to this same park with an older brother of one of his friends. They were gonna go fishing. After being gone for approximately 20 minutes he walks in the door dripping wet.... I guess I should say, soaking wet.... from head to toe! He had somehow managed to fall into the pond. I'm sure you're all laughing now, but at the time I was mad. Needless to say, after this latest incident, he will not be returning to the park anytime soon!

Anyway, I found myself on my hands and knees shampooing his tracks. Let me share a little of what I was saying in my head as I was fervently scrubbing away. It went something like this, "I can't believe I'm down on this floor like Cinderella. I am so unappreciated and NOBODY cares about all that I do around here. I am so sick and tired of this. Isn't there more to life than this? DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE?

Is there anyone else out there who thinks like this??

Then it hit me like a freight train. The next thought in my head was... you were born to serve.

It took me back to the scripture that says to hold every thought captive to Christ. I couldn't believe it...I had done it. I actually held a thought captive to Christ! YEEEEHAAAA!

Now, I know some of you might not think this is a big deal. But it is very hard for me to control those negative thoughts, because they come so instantaneously anymore. When you've thought and reacted in such negative ways for so long it becomes a bad habit.

It's something I've been praying about and the Lord is answering! So if you find yourself dealing with the same issue, just talk to God and ask Him to help. He is listening.


2 comments:

Amy Wyatt said...

I can so identify with this sometimes. It is hard to take every thought captive. Negative self talk is what the enemy desires. Way to go on turning those thoughts around.
Amy

Carol said...

This was great Cheri! I'm with you on this one, girl!