Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Marine

I pass the house everyday on my way home. The scene played out as I drove by maybe 30 seconds tops. It's burned into my memory for well over a year.

A marine fully dressed with white hat and white gloves standing on the porch of his Grandma and Grandpa. He opens the door for them and waits for each to sit before he does. There on the front porch in the beautiful summertime sat this marine straight up and down erect back not touching the chair behind him as he visited.

I remember passing thinking how proud they must be of this man and as I drove by my softened bones grew rigid-proud to be an American. I think about that moment all the time. I don't know why. I remember thinking I too would want to sit on the porch show him off proud. So tonight I will deliver 'the Light of the world candle' to those grandparents and tell them what I saw and how it made me feel. I want them to know.

I pray for that proud marine today. I know not where he is or what he might be doing - but I still see him marine tall.

No comments: